We just completed 3 very busy and productive days in Austin. On our drive from NM, we stopped in Sonora, TX for lunch. They have caverns… and we were tempted… but opted instead for a quick lunch complete with buttermilk pie for dessert (in Texas it’s pronounced buttermilk paahh).
Checked into our room at the Sheraton Hotel in time to view this great sunset.
Thursday started with a 5 hour walking tour of several downtown districts (6th Street, Congress Ave, SOCO, Market, and State Capitol). Highlights include:
1. Table side preparation of guacamole at Iron Cactus on 6th Street
2. Coffee at Jo’s in SOCO (thanks again Julie)
3. Exploring the original flagship Whole Foods Market (this place is incredible; went back for dinner)
4. Texas State Capitol and Governor’s Mansion
5. Congress Avenue Bridge (sadly the 750,000 bats don’t arrive for a few more weeks)
Spent Friday catching up on some work, including enrolling in COBRA (successfully again, yippee again). Walked through the University of Texas campus and was very disappointed that very few buildings looked familiar. For those of you who don’t know, Robin attended UT for 2 years back in the 70’s.
The highlight of the day was dinner at Iron Works BBQ with Garrett Roland. Garrett, son of our close friends Pat & Karen, is a 1st year UT law student. We had a delicious dinner and enjoyed hearing about the times and travails of an L1. We also really enjoyed having someone else to talk to at dinner LOL.
Tomorrow we will visit Lake Austin and then it’s off to Galveston for a couple days.